The Power of the Dinner Date



I recently went on a date that lasted F-O-R-E-V-E-R!  It was one activity after another and by the end of the date I felt like I had been on at least three dates with this guy, and honestly, I didn't feel the necessity of seeing anymore of him. I mean we had pretty much done every possible get-to-know-you activity and we had basically exhausted all conversation.

Typically I'm a big second-chance giver, I go on a lot of second dates, even with the guys I'm not so sure about because I logically figure that first dates are terrible indicators of a person.  You're super nervous, often trying too hard to impress your date, super worried about whether or not you look like an idiot or that they think you're really boring.

That being said, let me tell you the best first  date idea: dinner.  That's it.  Nothing else. I'm sure a lot of you out there in blog-reading world are dubiously shaking your heads, thinking, "nah, not possible, that's too simple."  Well, yeah, that's the point.  Simplicity is impressive.  Simplicity is beautiful.  Simplicity shows confidence. 


It seems to me that this is a problem especially in Mormondom, people who aren't mormons just go out to coffee or to get a drink.  In Romania they get a suc (juice- how cute is that?!).  Let me explain the brilliance behind these simple dates: They are low-maintenance and there is an easy out.

I've been on two dates like this, the first was with a guy that I met at a party, he got my number and called me up to go out to dinner.  That's all.  Nothing else.  Just dinner.  It was a blast, good conversation, witty banter, good times.  The second was frozen yogurt.  Just frozen yoghurt.  Nothing else.  Except we did end up sitting in Red Mango for three hours.  Good times.

Pick someplace that you can stay for a long time if you want, but also a place that you can leave reasonably early if the date is a dud, no hard feelings, no awkwardness. Best feature of these super simple dates: Leave Them Wanting More!  Leave the more complicated stuff for later.

For more on the subject.

Comments

  1. Amen and amen!
    Short, sweet, simple dates are the best ways to build a (romantic) connection with another person. At least the first 3 or so.
    After that, when you both acknowledge there is a romantic connection, then you go on the more intense dates. Gents, woo your woman. Ladies, allow yourself to be wooed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of the highlights of dating. It may not be that expensive but it must be the most memorable date that you and your partner must share with each other.

    college dating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts