Head Over Heart or Heart Over Head?



I'm a fairly logical person, and by that I mean an extremely logical person.  My parents often have described me as someone who "has more common sense than any person should ever have to deal with." That being said, you could probably guess which side of this coin I'm going to take, but I want it up for debate all the same.

I just wonder sometimes which is better.  Sonnets, romantic comedies and catchy quotes would tell you that you should ever and always "follow your heart" and you can't go wrong.  I tried that once in my life and it was the singular most bitterly painful and deeply scarring event to have ever happened to me.  It's been years and I still don't really let anyone in because of the issues I've got from that one.

To sum it up, let me just say that I am not of the school of "Better to Have Loved and Lost than to Have Never Loved at All"-- not even a little bit. (That quote and its lunacy could be an entire blogpost in and of itself.)

My problem with letting your heart rule is that there is no sense to it, which I guess is the point.

I look at my friends that lead a life of letting their hearts out scream their heads and I only get frustrated and confused.  I think the head deserves a little more credence and a little more credit than most give it.

When I think about this debate I always think about Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility. There was the character of Elinor who was the sister with all the sense and then there was Marianne who was the character with all the sensibility.  Marianne was impetuous and flighty, waiting to be swept off her feet, and she was, by a douche bag.

Elinor was sensible and allowed herself only the space that her own logic would afford.

In the end Elinor got the guy she wanted.  Marianne got the guy she shot down for the douche bag, but only after a comeuppance of near-death sickness, a few emotional break downs, and a humiliating apology to the nice Colonel Brandon who probably, in reality, deserved better.

Anyway, that was a ramble, but tell me what you think.  The poll is to the right, cast your votes and/or leave your thoughts in the comment space below.  Which is better, head over heart? or heart over head?

Comments

Popular Posts