Let's Hear It for the Boys

 

I have noticed as of late that this is a relatively popular picture the men are sharing on Facebook.  Though I disagree with the concept of the "friend zone" and flat out think that it's a notion contrived by men not quite brave enough to just admit that he likes the girl, or some how think that remaining "friends" with her will somehow yield magical results that a simple clear cut statement like "hey, are you free next weekend to go out?" would normally solve.... all the same, even though I don't agree, I can understand why this resonates with a lot of men.

In church today this guy from my ward named Tom spoke in sacrament meeting.  His talk was phenomenal.  I was impressed.  He talked about how we have an infinitely loving God and thus we need to learn to better love ourselves and those around us.

About halfway through his talk my roommate Brittany turned to me and asked, "Why aren't more guys like him?"  I thought for a minute and responded, "there are probably a lot of guys like him.  Society just tells them it's more attractive to be a butt head, so some (the louder, in your face ones) cave sometimes."

Right then and there Tom said, "guys, ya know what, it's time to be men.  Being a man and having masculin characteristics (those shown by Christ) is a beautiful and impressive thing."  I haven't been so tempted to clap during church since I was small and couldn't figure out why we didn't applaude for musical numbers and my mom had to hold my hands to stop me.

Good job Tom!  So very true.  I've written before about how femininity is underrated by society and how "the world" has warped the image of women in the eyes of men to make them attracted to women who often times disgrace femininity.  Well, the more I think about it the more I can see that the world has done the same to masculinity.  

Unfortunately, women are just as bad at appreciating true male warriors, the kind that make the male populous look good through service and kindness, as our male counterparts are with the women they are attracted to.  

We ladies can be just as misguided in what we think is "attractive" and then wonder why those who we're picking keep hurting us.

After spending a few days with my friend Jesica and her new baby boy Kyron,  I came home and asked a friend why guys don't want to be dads, because I really just want to be a mom and it's beyond me why I can't find a guy who wants the same things.  She told me something so obvious and thus true: "They probably do, it's just not praised by society so they get confused about what's important," like we women do, and become unsure and figure "I'll do that when I have more money... time... etc." 

Who knew we were all so similar?

Anyway, I just want you good guys to know that I appreciate what you're doing and who you are.  And to those of you men, who like me, are still trying to figure it out, thank you for trying.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts