My Was



I love the English language. I love delving into it and know its intricacies the best I can. But there is a disadvantage to your native language, everything just is what it is. This is where knowing a second or third language comes in nicely.

I speak(ish) Romanian. It's a language that I self-admittedly don't know as well as a woman who spoke it daily for 16 months should. But I know it well enough to love its poetic nature. It can say a lot with saying very little.

The word for an "ex" is "fost". When you refer to your ex you call them "fostul meu" or "fosta mea". The word "fost" in its barest form means "was"-- I love that. I love that a person can be your "was". Because before they became your "was," they were your "is".

Is. Was. Such powerful language. When you are together that person just is, and more importantly they are your is. It's like you could say, he is..., he was..., she is...,she was... it leaves such a opened end.

I don't even know what I'm saying, so I guess you'll just have to riddle this out yourself.

PS (as an FYI the word for boy/girlfriend in Romanian does not translate to "is" I'm just making a poetic connection)

Comments

Popular Posts