It's just a date. It's JUST a date. IT'S JUST A DATE!

There is an Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk in which he describes the definition of a date. Afterwards he said that he feels that he needs to remind the ladies that a date is just a date and not always the beginning of a relationship. Fair enough, that is a common misconception, but why was that shouted out to the ladies? I personally think that guys freak out about the supposed "commitment" of a date far more frequently than girls. Or maybe that's just my life.

I have known guys to avoid taking girls on dates because they are worried that, "she'll get the wrong idea" before he's "sure he wants to date her seriously." Who said anything about seriously? IT'S JUST A DATE! Just a date! Goodness.

I've also known guys who I have gone on a couple dates with who seem to think that once we've hit date number three I need to stop going out with other guys! What?! Why? Three dates does not a girlfriend make! Stop it. Stop with the craziness! It's just a date.

In a perfect world there would be the fundamental understanding that a date, or even a small series of dates, does not necessarily equate the beginnings of eternity while also an understanding that even in the realm of being unsure you can still date that person- test the waters so to speak- and not worry that the other person is planning the wedding. But I suppose I don't live in a perfect world, so I will continue to wonder why the happenings of my life are panning out the way they are.



Comments

Popular Posts