Interesting People

Now I'm not talkin' "interestin'" people- just sayin'.


The other day in my Creative Writing class we were given prompt of "think of the most interesting person/people you know or would like to know and explain what makes them interesting in detail." My mind went completely blank, and then it happened: Katy Perry popped into my mind. This made me laugh out loud, literally, which was a little awkward in a completely silent class where others were clearly taking the assignment more seriously.



I was not about to write about Katy Perry, I just couldn't, so instead I just started writing mindlessly about the prompt as opposed to answering it. It hit me, have you ever noticed that people you don't know very well are the ones that start running around your mind when questions of interest and eating dinner with anyone come up? People like Katy Perry,Virginia Wolfe, Anne Shirley, Martin Luther King Jr., Jane Austen, that ridiculously good-looking guy in the corner over there (I think his name starts with a "J"), Maya Angelou, and Abraham Lincoln etc, etc. It's almost as if the people that you do know well lose any shot at the title of "interesting" once they become commonplace. But in reality they may be the people you truly find the most interesting.


For example, my friend/roommate Brittany is an everyday part of my life; if someone were to ask me "if you could eat dinner with five people, any five people, who would they be?" I probably wouldn't think to add Brittany to the list. But it is Brittany that I choose to eat dinner with most nights of the week, it's Brittany that I go to when I am in need of advice. I've gone out of my way to know Brittany, her life, her opinions, her goals, etc. So, clearly, I find Brittany interesting. The same could be said about my mother, my friends Jesica, Charisse, Dan, Rob, Hayley, Taylor, Krista, etc.


As fun as it is to think about how a dinner with Katy, Abe, Jane, Martin, Maya and Mr J over there would go down, I'd like to think the people coming over for lunch Saturday are just as interesting. Here is to surrounding yourself with interesting people! Here! Here!

Comments

  1. YAY ME! Um, I like that Taylor was one, too. He IS interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. but more along the lines of "interestin'" than interesting...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts