Dating as a Job Interview

I was writing some new resumes the other day, I was trying to figure out how to make my random work and life experiences into perfect examples of my qualifications for very specific internship/work positions. All of this pressure got me thinking about how similar these interviews and resumes are to a date. The feelings congured up right before a job interview are almost exactly the same as those right before a date (or maybe better said as "spending time together in a dating fashion") with someone I like.

What is it about dating that makes you panic and pull crap out of thin air to impress someone? I was talking about this complication in dating with my mom, and guess what, IT DIDN'T USED TO BE LIKE THAT! My mom told me that it was never this complicated back when she was dating! And that she never remembers feeling like she had to be a certain way to attract a certain type of person. Everyone got to be an individual and people appreciated you for who you were. She was a girl who grew up in the farm land of South Jordan in the 70s and had horses and she dated and married my dad who was a city kid and it was no big deal that he didn't do everything she liked to do and vice versa. I felt like breaking something, throwing my hands in the air and yelling at the ceiling, "what could I have possibly done to deserve being born in the 80s?"

Why couldn't I have been born in 1943? I would have had a very Leave it to Beaver childhood and I would have been in my prime in the early to mid 60s which would have provided me with the best fashion, music, and exciting political climate! And as a plus I would be 68 now- meaning that I would be too old to care about analyzing text messages and Facebook comments. Yep, 1943 would have been the best year to be born in, well for a girl anyway... avoiding the whole Vietnam draft and all...

Anyway, back to my point. Apparently the insane need to date and marry someone who meets all your job qualifications... oh! I mean "preferences" hasn't always been at the forefront of the dater's mind. Crazy as it may seem, there was once a time where people thought it was good enough to find someone that was fun to be around, a good conversation, and relatively interesting. There didn't used to be a checklist of requirements including that the person you choose to be with practically be your personality twin.

What a crazy notion.


Comments

Popular Posts