Just Who Will You Be?


Once upon a time my mother gave me a wonderful book when she noticed that I was floundering a bit.  That book was Maria Shriver's "Just Who Will You Be" and I've been thinking about that book lately, even though it's been years since I've read it.

Ms. Shriver talks about how people are bombarded with questions about what they do or want to do, so in defense we come up with things to say that sound impressive, we break the bank on education that will add to our credentials, and we lose ourselves on the career path. She then explains that it's far more important to work on who you are than what you do. If you're not a very good person should it matter if you have an impressive career?

My current profession is a waitress.  It's a good job, pays decent, I like the people I work for/with and the food ain't bad, but I already am starting to feel unfulfilled and at a dead end and I'm looking for something a little better for me.  But, one thing that I do enjoy a lot about my job is people watching.  I used to think airports and sporting events were the best places to people watch, nope I was wrong: restaurants.  I get to observe all kinds of dates, business transactions, family parties and friends hanging out.  I've learned more about how men think just watching them together and being able to listen to the topics they discuss while pouring their water than at any other point in my life.  But there is one major thing that I've learned from being a waitress: If all you're trying to do is not be a bad person, that doesn't make you a good person. 

That may sound weird but it's a life lesson.  And this isn't wholly coming from the quote that says, "a person who is nice to you but isn't nice to the waiter is not a nice person," though I've come to see that as true on a whole new level. 

Who are you? Are you good? Are you kind? Are you smart? Are you classy? Are you brave? Are you courageous? Are you of service? Are you caring? Are you peaceful? Are you helpful? Are you positive? Are you creative? 

Are you trying?

Or are you just doing what you do because that's what you do? 

Be, not do, after all we are human beings. 


Comments

Popular Posts