The Definition of Insanity



I’m sitting in my dirty-bowl ridden kitchen typing at my flour-covered MacBook Pro (always good when you paid $1,400 +/- for it) not quite knowing if I should be embarrassed or proud of myself.  Why you may ask? Well, my lovelies, I’m baking cookies… for a boy (sorry Annie to let ya down.)

I keep pushing away the side looks Brittany has been giving me over the last couple of days whenever I’ve brought up the topic and repeating to myself over and over the definition of insanity: doing the same action over and over and expecting a different result.  I have decided that my recent chronic case of singleness is a direct result of insanity.

So, I’m making a change in my behavior, and for a quick moment I’m stepping into the shoes of a girl far more adorable than myself, and baking.

What’s even crazier is that this is currently my third recipe for the night.  The first two recipes were okay, not good though.  I decided that it was because they were lazy recipes, no sifting, no gradual mixing, no separate bowls, no tightly packed brown sugar, no room-temp eggs and butter.  So, I pulled out the big guns and the colander (because neither of us actually own a sifter) (and by "big guns" I am in fact referring to my arms, because we don't have a functional mixer and so I'm mixing all ingredients by hand). 

Now here I sit, waiting for the oven to heat up while the dough chills in the freezer trying to decide how exactly he’ll take receiving cookies in the mail (he lives kinda far away – and I decided it made for a better surprise and a less awkward moment to mail them).  I figure it’ll probably go over well, despite what Brittany keeps telling me while looking at me through the corners of her dubiously slanted eyes.  For one the man and I have a running joke about how I owe him baked goods, and two he’s taking his LSATs this week and could use encouragement from a pretty redhead… right? Right.  That’s what a cuter version of myself would say.  I’m still getting the hang of this.

Good gracious mumbo jumbo I better get some benefits out of this, *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* ya hear me ladies? 

Challenge of the week: do something relatively embarrassing for you to get yourself out on the ledge (I recognize that some of you are bound to be expert bakers and do this sort of thing all the time, you adorable girls you. For you, I suggest jokingly telling a guy to bake you cookies, I be serious, I did this once and it worked pretty well). And remember there isn't anything wrong with doing something a little out of character as long as it's stretching you to be better and making you try harder without compromising your morals.

Good luck in your personal [romantic] comedy more commonly referred to as life. 

Comments

Popular Posts