Love Has Everything to Do with Logic



Some of you are shaking your heads at me over this, and that's fine. I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me, I'm just asking you to hear me out.

I really believe that love has a lot to do with logic, and not the kind of logic that says, "hey, find a sugar daddy to live off of, that would make life easy." No, no, no, no, no. Bad, bad idea.

I believe that real love and real commitment are well thought out and considered. I believe in weighing options and seeing potential. Positives and negatives and the like.

I think blindly following your heart and emotions gets you to one of two places:

1."I just love him/her and I don't care about all of the things (s)he does that were previously moral deal breakers! I can't help what my heart wants." This only means that you're lonely and you don't care who fills that vacancy. Scary, scary place to be. A good dose of logic would go a long way to help this out.

2. "Things are going well and there is potential, but I don't know if I'm "ready" for this! Ahh! It's too much I think I'm going to make a run for it." This is dangerous. I have a sad history of being a passive dater, I always just took what came to me and went with it and when things got serious, I panicked. Then I wondered why it always died? Please, I was such an idiot. No more. We don't have to do this. We can be better, more stable. This is where you look at the situation and ask yourself, "do I want to think back on this in 6 months- 10 years and wonder 'what if...' or 'I wonder what would have happened...'?"  No, you don't. Trust me it's total garbage.

You heart is a lovely, useful thing, but it isn't very smart. Scripturally it says that our hearts fail us. Now ain't that the truth?

I think our hearts are good at twinging us, giving us clues and hints. I read somewhere that finding the "right" person is like archery. When you take aim and hit a little too far to the left you know it's time to correct to the right. Every failed attempt is meant to teach us what went wrong. Then we are supposed to take what is wrong and apply it to the next time. We can't do that without our heads.

I like to fall in love as much as the next girl, really I do. I like the spinning around in a daze of pink bunnies and yellow daffodils too, but I don't want to be spinning around with some guy in a relationship I know in the back of my mind is just going to burn up in flames. Pink bunnies and yellow daffodils aren't so pretty when they've got charcoal burns all over them.

A little bit of reason goes a long way.

And for my last plug, when you're married and that happy fuzzy feeling fades, it's in the moments of insanity that you start thinking to yourself that this may have been a mistake, or that you just don't "feel" the same way for that person that you used to, it's logic-- the thought process-- that will bring you back to sanity. NOT a fluttery heart.

Comments

  1. I love this post! It's definitely something that needs to be more in dating- logic that is. I do have a question for you (from a post of yours you did a while back I think). I have been told that I care about people easily- I get attached and then it's hard to end a relationship. I'm not sure what to do because I believe that being a loving person is a good trait, but i feel like it's causing me to hurt a lot. I don't want to build walls around my heart either! So where's the good balance between caring about the guys you are going out with and not letting them totally into every part of your heart? Love your blog! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beka, that is a fabulous questions that I think most of us of the fairer sex have. Let me think over some things and I'll get a post up for you. Thanks for the question!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts