Defined by Rejection

 

"I'm an adult, I can accept things now, like rejection.  I'm fine with [rejection] I can deal with it, it upsets me but I can deal with it.  It doesn't make me question myself that much, even though it probably should." ~Adele


She has a point, hasn't she? I don't think anyone should lose their self worth over rejection (of any kind, romantic, professional, artistic, etc.) but I do think it ought to allow for self-analysis.  Life is about questioning yourself-- in a useful way-- so that improvement and a sense of accomplishment can set in.

We're designed to grow and flourish, but we can't if we don't question our failures.

As much as I appreciate all those Pinterest pictures flying around that express the sentiment that "they'll be sorry" or "it isn't you, it's his/her problem-- he/she just wasn't good enough/appreciate you enough" but if that's how you choose to cope with rejection you are short changing yourself.  It's healthier to look at what you could have done better, why it didn't work and commit yourself to not make the same mistakes again.

Comments

Popular Posts