The Adventure of Online Dating

My roommate and I were on one last night (we have a tendency to find ourselves far more funny than we actually are). Because of this temporary laughing high and a severe lack of judgment, and, on the more respectable end of things, for the sheer joy of social criticism we both signed up for an online dating site!

So, because we're both giant church nerds we signed up for LDSsingles.com. Okay, like I just said I am a giant church nerd but this was way too much for even me to handle! On their homepage is a lovely picture of an undoubtedly happily sealed-forever-and-ever couple under the headline of, "seek and ye shall find..." 3 Nephi 14:7. Now I know that we are supposed to liken the scriptures unto ourselves and try to find modern day applications.... but... I kinda don't know that I would necessarily assume that when the Savior said "seek and ye shall find..." that He meant for us to search out an "eternal companion" online... but hey, who am I to be definitive on that? As I was filling out the profile I couldn't help but thinking to myself, "no wonder everyone thinks we Mormons are so weird!"

Now I'm not saying that online dating isn't respectable and that everyone with a profile not set up as a joke should bury their head in the sand. Obviously some happy couples come out of such online... what's the word... opportunities.... but I sincerely worry about a society that has to set up a profile online so that they can have the options to "flirt" "wink at" "smile" say "you're cute" and my favorite of all time "chat with"!!!! What?! What?! Humblahdiwhat!?!?! Chat with?! Really?!? Seriously?!

Chatting with someone used to mean sitting at the same table in a cafe, on the same bench in a park, cozied up on a couch, sprawled out on a picnic blanket and having a conversation in which you could hear the person's voice!! Now the word "chat" is synonymous with computers and strangers and winky faces. What the heck is a winky face? Was "winky face" a noun 10 years ago?

I had the strongest desire to put my head against the wall and start running as fast as I could when the next day my roommate said she woke up to something like 36 "you're cutes" and "flirt requests" and "smiles." Oh dear society, have you grown so dysfunctional that someone would rather use the picture of red lips and white teeth smiling than ACTUALLY smile at someone?

I worry about life sometimes.

P.S. I fully realize that because I have so strong an opposing opinion of dating sites that I've upped my chances of meeting and marrying someone on one (I am the QUEEN of eating my words) I've decided to abandon it all together.

Comments

Popular Posts