A Year in the Life: Things I Learned in 2015



So, 2015 is finally over. Good riddance. It was no friend of mine.

I've never had such an agonizingly painful year in my life. Three loved ones lost. My parents divorced and sold my childhood home. I experienced a grueling time of unemployment.

On a more positive note, I do have to say that all that cracking under pressure let in some air and sunshine, which allowed new life to grow through the cement slab that my life had become over the last four or so years.

#1- Losing loved ones lead me to think and pray harder to really consider what I believe about the plan of salvation. I've had my doubts and struggles but have come out firmer and surer in faith. Things will, in fact, be okay.

#2- My parents' divorce has led me to think more critically about marriage and what I would want from it if my life takes that path. Surprisingly enough, It has helped me to be more open to the idea that maybe I do want to get married and maybe I will find someone I can be successful with. At the same time, I feel like I can and will be just fine if I don't ever marry. I see my place in my life clearer now.

#3- The incredible financial stress I experienced (which was pretty well chronicled here) this year taught me to grow up and realize how blessed I have been these 28 years. It also, ultimately, put me in the right place (mentally, physically, and spiritually) to take on the job I have now, and what a beautiful thing that has been.

#4- Losing my childhood home was surprisingly the most devastating thing that I've ever experienced. I have never felt such profound loss and unbalance. I've never been so angry at anyone as I was at my parents for what I saw as selfishness and callousness. But, even though I doubt I'll ever fully heal from that loss, I feel like I learned something valuable about what is real in this life and what is not, what matters and what doesn't.

As resentful and hurt as I have felt this past year, I am in a good place now. Even though I can't help but look to 2016 with a dubious (and slightly jaded) eye, I have no reason to believe that 2016 won't be incredible.

I felt under water, treading desperately, for the majority of 2015. But I cannot deny that the Lord reached into the water and pulled me out before I drowned. The last three months have undoubtedly been a warm beach to recoup, catch my breath, and dry off.

If 2015 was a year at sea, maybe 2016 will be my year of exploring a new island. But hopefully, an island like Ireland or Great Britain for I burn easily in the sun.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written! I love your blog! Cheers to a good year in 2016.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment