40 days of fasting: What I'm giving up for Lent

Throughout my life I have always had inspiring Catholic women around who have meant a lot to me. One of these fine women is Julia Hurtado. She is one of the most faithful and devout people I have ever met. A few years ago she introduced me to Lent.

Lent begins on Ash Wednesday (which falls on March 5 this year) and lasts through Easter. The purpose of Lent is to strengthen one's relationship with God through prayer, atonement, repentance and  self-denial.

Though traditionally Lent's primary focus has been self-denial in regards to food and festivities (thus Mardi Gras: the celebration of eating too much and going crazy the day before Lent), for Julia Lent was more about becoming a better version of herself. A few years ago she told me she was giving up all social media for Lent. No Facebook. No Twitter. No nothing. She wanted to rededicate her life and she felt that the time she saved avoiding the mindlessness social networking often inspires could be better directed elsewhere.

In an act of what I initially intended to be solidarity and support, I decided to do the same. For 40 days and 40 nights I gave up Facebook (I didn't have any of the other stuff yet).

It was a surprisingly cleansing and peaceful experience. I got a new perspective on what matters in life and how much Facebook was wasting my time and defining my sense of self.

Since Julia led me through Lent all those years ago, I have tried to respect Lent every year since. Each year I've given up something new and this year I've tried to really think about what I can sacrifice for a better version of myself.

So, what am I giving up for Lent this year?

Procrastination.

I'm basically a record-setting procrastinator. I love it. But it's time to reconsider what I love.

For the next 40 days I'm going to live by goals and schedules. I'm going to be held accountable by family and friends.

Here's to a better life, like the kind lived by fancy, successful people. 




Comments

Popular Posts