[Notable] Books I Read in 2013



Apparently this is considered to be one of the greatest works of fiction ever written. Arguably The great American novel. Or so I'm told. I'm not saying it wasn't masterfully crafted or damningly insightful, it was. But, I've read better. I do have to say that as I read, and for weeks following I spoke with a cadence and intelligence, which I hadn't owned before. But in the end school dumbed me back down.

Rating: ***
Recommend-ability:  ****



 

I am not cultured enough to be a fan of poetry. That said, I do love e.e. cummings. This compelation of his work (the one with the pretty bird) is pretty fantastic. 

Rating: *****
Recommend-ability:  ***
 



I loved this book. It was erratic, emotional, confusing and scary-- all because it was from the perspective of a 5-6 year old boy going through a phenomenally traumatic event. It's a fantastic and insightful read that left me thinking.

Rating: ****
Recommend-ability:  ***






I found this book fascinating and very affirming to my previously held opinion to never trust an extrovert. But it did get a little muddled in facts and figures in the middle making it lag a bit. All in all I liked it. 

Rating: ***
Recommend-ability:  **


Now, this is a massively popular book about which I am sure you have heard many good things. They're all completely true. I loved this book. I was actually dazzled by its cleverness and beautiful use of language. And I'm not easily dazzled. Though I am somewhat pleased there will be a film, I'm not 100% sure how well it's going to portray the story. But we shall see.

Rating: *****
Recommend-ability:  *****

This was one of my textbooks when I was in Northern Ireland and I adored it. It was a fascinating read that made the world seem a little less horrifying. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do recognize that reading academic works on violence and conflict may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I do think more people should read this. I genuinely believe it would make the world a better place if more people took the time to understand the issues.

Rating: ****
Recommend-ability:  *****

For more awesome book reviews by me, visit my goodreads page





Comments

Popular Posts