A Girl Has Got to Ask Herself: A Part of the Plan or My Mistake?

aren't you excited?

So, we meet again. It's been a long long time. My fault, I'll admit it. But here I am again. Trying to make amends. I hope you out there in the blogosphere still care.

I've spent the last few months studying about war and peace, religious violence (or the myth of it) and hanging out with ex-IRA/ UVF members (eat that up NSA). My thoughts have been tangled in world affairs of the most sordid kind and I've been far too moody about things nobody else cares much for to write for my blog.

But now I'm home from Northern Ireland, living at my parents house like the adult-failure that I am, and forced to undergo listening to dating and marriage advice from well-intentioned relatives. Life is smashing!

My grandmother likes to try and get me to call up ex-boyfriends to see if they'll forgive me. Most of them are married, because I'm better at marrying off guys than a Jewish matchmaker. Even if they weren't I'm far too proud and self-righteous to ever actually call up a guy from the past. I assume they are in the past for a reason.

This past weekend I had the amazing opportunity of being the only person of my generation to show up at my maternal grandmother's family reunion. The fact that I look about 16-years old mixed with my perma-scowl has helped fend off the question of "so, are you getting serious with anyone?" in the past. But, after three hours stuck under a pavilion during a rainstorm there was only so much I could do to avoid my grandma's six sisters, their 27 daughters and 42 granddaughters. (To all my first cousins on my mother's side: Thanks for nothing.)

Those women have powers, powers of persuasion and confusion. They all got me thinking. I blame the bouncing babies and blond hair flipping about for the trance-like state of mind I left in.

I'm a terrible dater. I'm selfish, thoughtless and distant. I've come to the conclusion that dating is the worst possible alternative to boredom we as a species have come up with. Worse even than watching Teen Mom.

I've always had a strong policy against settling. I've sworn up and down and all over town that I will not be the girl that "settles" for Mr. Right-Now. Is it so wrong to actually want to be more excited about the guy than the potential wedding? To not want to see a man as a means to an end? But the more I live, the more I date and the more of my friends who file off into matrimony the more I doubt that not settling is even an option.

Maybe it'd be best to just let my mom pick a guy for me. Lord knows I'm a terrible judge of what's good for me.

My problem is that timing is always off. I'm not an easy win. I take some serious convincing for the most part. Guys are never on the same page as me, ever. And I'm tired of the awkward, "sorry, I'm just not feeling this" to his proclamation of affection. And I'm also tired of getting the freeze out from the guys I so mistakenly decide to actually be interested in.

Now, here I am 26, living at my parents' house, with nothing better to do with my weekends than family reunions. A girl has got to ask herself: is this all a part of the "plan" or have I made some serious mistakes?

Comments

  1. you're a great writer, and im glad you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We dont have any family reunions on our side anymore. Too much drama! By the way here are some more scriptures from the bible about being single. Find your own answer my dear. YOUR MOM IS AWESOME

    31 Bible Verses about Being Single

    1 Corinthians 7:32-35 ESV / 351 helpful votes

    I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

    1 Corinthians 7:8 ESV / 232 helpful votes

    To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.

    1 Corinthians 7:1-40 ESV / 133 helpful votes

    Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. ...

    2 Corinthians 6:14 ESV / 128 helpful votes

    Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

    Hosea 2:19-20 ESV / 89 helpful votes

    And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of weird, new age Baptist Bible did you get this stuff out of?

      Delete
  3. I'm finally starting to get past my Northern Ireland moodiness.
    Pavillion, rain and relatives, wow...our family reunion went slightly smoother for me. Our rental car suffered a flat tire the first night there, we spent about six hours the second day getting it taken care of and then flew out the day after that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts