Valentine's Day & Commitophobia

Valentine's day seems to be a big deal for a lot of people. They start talking about it at least a month in advance, either super excited to make heart shaped pink pancakes  or dreading it, hoping that making plans with the girls isn't as pathetic as it sounds.

I don't really get why it's such a big deal. It seems like a nice idea to me, a day to celebrate love. I'm not in love with anyone and somehow I still plan on enjoying today like I would any other day. Why not? Life is short.

Maybe the reason I don't mind Valentine's day is because I'm a bona fide and committed commitaphobe. I fully recognize my tendencies to accept only the affection of those that I could never work with in a long-term way. So, the idea of lacking love in my life just ain't no thing.

Regardless of why some of us are okay with Valentine's day and some of us or not, I think we all need to just take a look around and realize that we all have people in our lives whom we love. Family members, friends, romantic attachments, pets, etc. So, if you're not going to be whisked away on a candle-lit dinner for two while a mariachi band plays in the background, it's okay. Call up your grandma or sister or nephew and tell them you love them. I'm pretty certain it'll make everyone's day.

Buy some grocery store valentines with the Avengers on them and hand them out to friends, ya know you want to. I'm pretty sure your day will be looking up.

Valentine's day is a good excuse to decide not to care what happens to you, but concern yourself with how you treat others.

Here is my Valentine to those of you who are helpless romantics...







And here is my Valentine to those of you who are a little less romantic...

>
 

And also this...



Comments

  1. Hahaha! That Casper line has always weirded me out. I think Valentine's day has become too commercialized (like all holidays). I agree that it's just a day to celebrate love for anyone--it doesn't have to be romantic. My parents always gave us Valentine's cards. It's not that they didn't say I love you" the rest of the year, they just liked o celebrate that love with a little extra on a holiday--as a kid it was something to look forward too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elizabeth, I have so many things to say. 1. I'm sorry that you're up so early, but I am happy you have such a beautiful baby, congrats by the way. 2. You are "connected" to my dad on LinkedIn and I'm only slightly weirded out.

      Happy Valentine's day, it is, quite literally, your patron saint day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts