Do What You Love



I recently learned that doing what you love is actually, more often than not, the hardest thing you could do.

A friend of mine has all but given up on what they ("they" shall remain gender-less for this the purpose of this post) always wanted to do because of financial struggle and disappointment.  "They" the other day told me that I had no clue of what I was talking about, no idea how hard reality actually is (because apparently, unbeknownst to me, I'm currently living in an alternate reality).  They told me that I lived a charmed life and that I've never failed at anything and could in no way understand what they were going through (dramatic much?).

I told this person that I didn't agree in the least, and that the reason that it seemed like I never fail is because I don't give up on the things that I want. I'd hold on to my dreams with my teeth if I had to.  I've crashed and burned far more times than I'd like to admit, I have my share of disappointments and embarrassments, and that the only reason that they aren't glaring to everyone else is because I quickly get back up and try again (and again, and again and again).

I told this person that I thought that they were just giving up and choosing a life of getting by, and that with every new "venture" they tried they were really just trying to get by in a different "easier" way. They were not happy with me.  But I'm proud of myself for telling them that, because it is true.

What you want most, what you crave, dream and think about non stop will always (and should) be the hardest thing for you to attain.  Because if the most defining thing in your life is easy then what good is it?

In the words of Shania Twain (whose autobiography I'm reading), "When everything goes off without a hitch, where is the challenge, the opportunity to find out what you're made of?"

So, do what you really want. Do that thing that seems impossible and out of reach because it will be worth it, win or lose.

Comments

Popular Posts