Hating on Valentine's Day?



You may be surprised by this post, but quite frankly I don't hate Valentine's Day, and I definitely don't understand why so many people have an issue with it.  I woke up this morning and naturally the first thing I did was check Facebook. I felt a little run over by the bitterness that I read (and this is me talking!).  Wowza! people, calm down!

I don't think it's fair that people say that Valentine's Day is a "fake holiday" or that it's just designed to earn money for the gift industry.  Yeah, maybe that's what it's morphed into, but whose fault is that?  It was originally a day of remembrance, given in honor to a man who lost his life because he believed that everyone had the right to love in marriage, despite what the government and "society" had to say about it.

That's just plain sweet.

Now, some of you are probably rolling your eyes at me, and fine, go ahead, just remember whose blog you're reading and think, is this woman a gaggy romantic? No.  Quite the opposite.  But let me say this, you define how you feel about today.  If you want to be frustrated and resentful, do so, but do so respectfully of those who want to enjoy it.  If you want to be drowning in the pink sea of your chocolate flavored love, same goes for you.  But, above all don't hate on the day that was meant to commemorate a man's life, that's rude.

I am not doing anything particularly "special" in the love department today, I'm going to hang out with my sister, whom I love, so happy Valentine's Day to us.  You can be depressed or spiteful, or you can go to the mall with your sister and call it a good day.  Just chill out all y'alls.

*Special photo credit to my good friend Shawn Condie (nice profile pic).

Comments

  1. i've always wondered why people complain about it. it's a nice little excuse to have a semi-holiday in the dreary days of february, even if you don't have a bf or gf.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts