Names of Jesus: Lord

I'm beginning a study of the various names given to Jesus throughout scripture (thanks to a study guide from theredheadhostess.com).

Here are some thoughts I've had about "The Lord"

"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Genesis 18:14

I've long thought it's interesting to compare and contrast the religious association we have with a word versus its initial meaning.

Jesus inherited the name "lord" from its initial meaning: a person who has authority, control, or power over others.  A master, chief, or ruler.

Knowing what the word literally means makes it obvious why and how Jesus has the title. But what really makes it striking is how different calling Jesus Lord feels from calling anyone else lord.

I have to admit I've never actually called anyone lord before, but I've seen other people do it in movies and TV shows (don't act like you don't sometimes feel like half your life experience comes from TV and movies, I know I'm not the only one). It looks uncomfortable, demeaning, and/or horribly uptight. Watch one episode of Downton Abbey and you'll know what I mean.

When one person calls another person "m' lord"  it's in fear, embarrassment, or in an attitude of otherness.

What a markedly different experience it is to refer to The Lord as Lord. For me, it is one of the most tender and gentler titles I use in reference to Jesus.

I think He has softened the title through his character well described in Nahum 1:3, where it says, "the Lord is slow to anger and great in power." With such power, He is so kind in the many chances He gives. Patience is what sets Him apart from His less than divine counterparts.
2 Thes 3:3 the Lord is faithful who shall establish you.

Isaiah 12:2 the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song, he has become my salvation. 3 therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Comments

Popular Posts