Knowing Everything and Understanding Nothing: A Millennial's Story


I know too much. I'm pretty sure that my knowing too much just makes me seem crazy. And chances are you're in a similar capsizing boat.

Meaningless, yet hilarious 

In the age of abundant and accessible sociological and psychological research focused on dating and relationships, we have never known so much. Yet, somehow, we've never understood so little.

When I say, "know" I am talking about the consumption and retention of facts.

When I say, "understand" I am talking about the consumption, retention, and application of facts.

For example, we all know social media/networking sites melt the part of the brain that controls interpersonal know-how, but do we stop? No! And not only do we not stop, we check Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., etc., etc, while we're in social situations instead of just being social.

We know, but we do not understand.

Sometimes I wonder if the knowing is part of the problem. Maybe because we have all these facts bouncing around in our heads we become so paranoid about making social blunders that we can't help but look like idiots. Ha ha! It's not our fault!

Okay, no, that's stupid.

So, I've decided that I'm going to do my best to give some practical advice when it comes to this knowledge that we're faced with. I'm going to call this Advice+Research.

I'm about to save y'alls lives.



Comments

Popular Posts