Ditching the Downers

 

I ran into a guy that I dated for the emotional equivalency of .5 seconds. He, as he always does, reminded me of why I don't date him anymore. We talked for maybe two minutes and it went a  little like this:

Me: "Oh hey!"
Him: "I made eye contact with you from way over there and you just ignored me. What? Am I not good enough to say 'hi' to?"
Me: "I did not make eye contact with you, I didn't see you at all. I wouldn't have ignored you."
Him: "I guess I'm just invisible." 
Me: "Anyway, how's things going?" 
Him: "Meh, I don't know. I want to complain about something, but I can't find anything to complain about right now. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the fact that life will never be what I want it to be."
Me: "Yeah, that's tough."
Him: "Yeah, life sucks, and that's all it's ever going to do." 
Me: "Yep, well it's good to see you." 
Him: "Yeah you too."

I kid you not. 

It has recently occurred to me that I am too damn old to deal with the downers. Life gets exhausting when everyone around you can't find anything to be happy about. No one can happily take that much depression. I've noticed that when I'm around incredibly negative people for long periods of time I get annoyingly negative. I guess it's because it's easier to pull someone down that pull someone up. Gravity and all. 

Let's take control and find people who will make our lives better and more positive. Let's find people who will let us make their lives better and more positive. 

Comments

Popular Posts