A Taylor Swift Kind of Love




I want to make one thing very clear: I love and respect Taylor Swift. I love Miss Swift so much that if I ever were to meet the subject of the song "Mean" I would pull on some pink-flamed cowboy boots and kick him as hard as I could in the... shins, wait until he regained his composure and then do it again. So if one of my averaged 17 readers a day is T Swizzle herself, know that I think you are a wonderful talent and have a hunch that we could be good friends if you weren't so much prettier than me.

That being said, I would like to take a moment to look at the human phenomenon that my roommate and I call "Taylor Swift Love" better known as fanciful, fairytale-like, or so intense that it can't help burn itself out in about a month maybe two.

I've spent the last two days listening to every Taylor Swift song available to me, and besides marveling at her ability to put relatable emotion to song and rhyme I have noticed that the emotions described in her lyrics can, 99% of the time be chalked up to one (or more) of four: fantasy love, regret, devastation or an overwhelming need for revenge.

What was even more interesting was that you could see the path from the different songs of fantasy love leading right to either regret, devastation or the overwhelming need for revenge. Is that really what we want when we say we want to feel the way she describes in her love songs? Do we ultimately want to be angry, depressed or guilty? I am a firm believer that everyone has the right to fall in love. I just worry that our definitions of what love is or what we think it should feel like are askew.

Comments

  1. I know I shouldn't say this, but it's out now... I made it through my last 2 transfers of my mission because of Taylor Swift. I love her ability to say the truth through her music... true feelings, not what people want to hear, but what she truly feels... and that is why it's easy to relate to her music, and enjoy every single one of her songs :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts